There is nothing is easy about selling a house, even in a good real estate market. Everyone, you, your mom, your dad your brother, your aunt and your neighbour next door are always on the hunt for the “DREAM” home. Small details can make all the difference when it comes to selling your home for top dollar in any market. Try these suggestions and ideas to improve your home’s appearance and help you prepare your home to sell it faster and for top dollar! Selling your home fast and for top dollar starts as prospective buyers drive up to your home.
1. Keep your lawn cut and maintained at all times, a few weeks before listing your home put down some extra fertilizer to make it pop. 2. Pick up a garden spade shovel and edge around the flower beds. 3. If you are selling your home later in the year keep your yard clear from fallen leaves. 4. Clean up your flower bed and plant some new flowers to give them that extra attractions. You can also dress up your yard, walkway and patio with some extra potted plants. 5. Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture and trash from your yard. 6. Porches, steps, verandas, balconies, patios and other extensions of the house should be kept uncluttered, swept and in good condition. 7. Put a fresh coat of paint on all entrance doors. 8. Make sure your garage door opens easily. Fix and paint the garage door if necessary. 9. Clean and shine all hardware and accessories indoors and out (door knobs, knockers, lamps, mailbox address numbers etc.) 10. Trees and shrubs should be trimmed and pruned. 11. Pick up a new doormat. 12. Be sure the front doorbell is in good working order. 13. Your front door and screen door should work perfectly.
Throughout your home
14. Open the draperies, pull up the shades and let in the natural light. 15. Create a positive mood. Turn on all the lights, day or night and install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly. 16. Remove clutter from each room to visually enlarge them. 17. If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating. 18. Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times. 19. If your carpets are looking drab giving them a good steam clean couldn’t hurt. If they don’t clean up well you may want to consider replacing them. 20. Have a family game plan to get the home in order quickly if necessary in case of a last minute showing request. 21. Air out your home for a half hour before showings, if possible. 22. Lightly spray the house with air freshener so that it has a chance to diffuse before the buyer arrives. 23. Put your family photos in storage. 24. Improve traffic flow through every room by removing unnecessary furniture. 25. Create the feeling of a spacious entry area by using decorative accents and removing unnecessary furniture. 26. Putty over and paint any nail holes or other mishaps in the walls. 27. Paint all interior walls a neutral colour to brighten the home and make it look bigger. 28. Repair or replace any loose or damaged wallpaper. 29. Clean all light bulbs and light fixtures to brighten the home. 30. Wash all windows inside and out. 31. Use plants in transitional areas of your house. 32. Make the most of your attic’s potential. 33. Remove and/or hide excess extension cords. If you have an extension cord running to a lamp or small appliance try and make due without. 34. Open doors to areas you want potential buyers to see such as walk-in closets, pantries, attic etc. 35. Remove all pet and smoke odours. Smoking inside your home can loose you up to 20% of the value. 36. Repair or replace banisters and handrails. 37. Dust any vertical and horizontal blinds. 38. If you have any drapes consider giving them a good wash.
In the Kitchen
39. Microwave a small dish of vanilla twenty minutes before a showing and place it in an out of the way place one spot is on top of your fridge pushed back if possible. 40. Highlight an eat-in area in your kitchen with a table set for dinner. 41. The kitchen should always be spotlessly clean. 42. Expand your counter space by removing small appliances. 43. Give your oven and cooktop a good clean. 44. If your kitchen garbage can has a funny odour give it a good wash.
In the Bedrooms
45. Create a master suite effect in your decorating. 46. Depersonalize bedrooms and decorate in a neutral scheme. 47. Make sure that the beds are made and the linens are clean. 48. Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage. 49. Open the drapes and blinds 50. Paint bedrooms in a neutral colour tone, remove any stickers from the walls and take down any trophy shelves.
In the Bathrooms
51. Clean up used towels and wipe down the sinks and shower area after each use. 52. Re-caulk the tub if the caulking is not sparkling white. 53. Repair or replace broken tiles in the shower/tub. 54. Replace shower curtains and keep them clean. 55. Put out fresh towels and decorative soaps. 56. Remove the bathmat if there is one and show off the tile floor. If the flooring is tired get a neutral bath mat that matches the curtain on the shower. If you’re in the market to buy or sell in London, please contact us. You can reach us at (226) 289-2983 or go ahead and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.There are many great London area homes for sale. Click here to perform a full home search, or if you’re thinking of selling your home, click here for a FREE Market Valuation so you know what buyers are willing to pay for your home in today’s market.You may also call us at (226) 289-2983 for a FREE home buying or selling consultation, so that we may answer any of your real estate questions.